The Legacy of Cine Qua Non
The story of Cine Qua Non goes back to 1982 when Eric Ipenburg started his shop in the Staalstraat in the heart of Amsterdam. In 35 years his collection of original filmposters, film stills, vintage magazines, niche books and quirky dvd’s grew out of control, but more importantly the shop became a trusted place, where both residents and random tourists alike, indulged in the religion of nonsense that Eric preached by heart. Famed for its unusual opening hours, impassable aisles, stuffed corners, loud music and cigarette smoke, the cultural treasury of Cine Qua Non became the epicenter of classic, arthouse and avant-garde cinema in Amsterdam.
Unfortunately due to unexpected circumstances the shop had to close its doors in November 2016. As employees and friends of Eric, we felt a strong urge to continue the legacy of Cine Qua Non. We joined forces with graphic designer and film enthusiast Bert to document the comprehensive collection and make it available again to those with a passion for (film)culture. Through this website we will share the journey that we make through the mountains of nostalgic filmposters and other collectibles. Eventually it is our aim to open a physical shop again in Amsterdam, however we are patient in our search for that reasonably priced miracle.
What you need to know...
- We ship worldwide, but we live in Amsterdam so if you prefer human interaction or if a physical meet-up makes more sense so you can see, feel and smell the merchandise, we are available to meet up in person.
- Until the day we find a new space for Cine Qua Non we will be present at local markets in Amsterdam and Eindhoven occasionally, so keep an eye out for us.
- We are very open to collaborations in any possible way so do approach us if you have something in mind!
- For all our art-director, set dresser, decorator, interior designer, photographer friends: we also rent out our posters. Reach out if you need anything.
- The items posted on this site solely scratch the surface of our collection. Please get in touch if you are looking for something specific, we might have it!